Friday, September 24, 2010

Overworked

Chris Huhne told delegates to the Lib Dem conference that the biggest surprise of being in government was the amount of work it entailed. "I prioritise what I take home by what I can get into my bike pannier," he explained. “If it doesn’t fit in my bike pannier I don’t take it home.”

Well, well, well.

Has the coalition relaxed the rules on ministerial boxes? As others before have found out – from Sir George Young (the bicycling baronet) to David Cameron, red boxes are verboten on a bike. And on a bus (Chris Mullin).

Come to think of it, Sarah Vine, wife of Michael Gove, wrote a piece in The Times about the arrival at her home of the chauffeur driven red box while her husband travelled by other means.

Perhaps Chris Huhne just has a mock up or model pannier which his Private Office staff can use as a guide to the amount of paper which he can tolerate at home.