Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Spring at last

The blossoms are really blossoming now - the forsythias have, of course, been shining yellow for some weeks now; the (wild) daffodils are particularly strong this year, the May trees already dressed in dense & creamy white.

Despite constant promises of sun, by mid late morning the cloud cover has been well-nigh complete most days though thankfully the breeze has died down these last two days – April, May & June are the cruellest months for Raynaud’s sufferers. Everything looks so warm & sunny but the breeze is treacherous, as is the sun when it decides to hide behind a cloud even for a minute or two. I can still manage with just a quilted waistcoat & gloves over spring clothes, but dread the day when I shall have to join the ranks of old ladies who walk around with their winter coats still buttoned up to the neck: Poor old thing – she doesn’t even realise that the sun is shining.

The cloud disappears by early evening, leaving the sun blazing low in the west. Glorious, except that when I am waiting for the bus I have to stare right into it. Last night I waved the bus to stop & it was only as I turned to gesture angrily at the driver who was just sailing by that I realised that it was one of the bright green long distance ones, not our local red – it had just lbeen black to me looking blindly down the road.