Saturday, March 27, 2010

Polyester profits

Pooh Bah (of Foy in the county of Herefordshire and Hartlepool in the county of Durham etc) is backing UK technology centres because “Too often in this country we have been brilliant at research and let others walk away with the commercial benefits of development.”

I think I have been hearing this assertion for the whole of my life. As a young teenager disappointment was oft expressed, particularly about our alleged loss of all the profits the Americans were making from polyester – Terylene was a British invention we were told.


Part of the problem, & it is a very long standing one, which is why Lord Mandelson’s initiative will probably be no more successful than any of the previous ones – plain snobbery: My dear! He makes his money out of polyester pants!

PS The Word spellchecker suggested that perhaps I meant to type Mendelssohn rather than Mandelson


Links