Friday, March 26, 2010

Earbuds






I overheard an American on the radio use the term earbuds for what I think most English people would still call headphones, or possibly ear pieces - or is that just my Who are The Beatles moment?

Earbuds is a much nicer term.

The American surprised me also by saying that he thought people preferred listening to music through headphones - made it much more personal. I much prefer listening to music which is allowed to move around the room - sometimes it seems to float like those rhythmic gymnasts ribbons, sometimes it is more like water moving, & sometimes it reverberates with joy & exuberance.


On occasion you might want to listen through really good headphones in order to hear some detail, appreciate better the contribution of different instruments or sections of the orchestra, admire the control of a voice. And of course they are invaluable when it is essential not to disturb others.


But otherwise, leave the buds out of it, thank you.