Friday, March 27, 2009

Together in eternity

Until I read Ruth Padel’s Darwin: A Life in Poems (which I cannot recommend too highly) I had not fully understood the effect that his wife’s Christian faith had on him

I never bought the idea that this was just the superstitious beliefs of a silly woman standing in the way of scientific progress

Darwin himself wrote about how difficult he found it to write a coherent argument, rather than just a narrative or factual account of his observations & experiences

In the context of Ruth Padel’s poems, Charles & Emma’s own words have tremendous impact


Charles, when considering the future:

Sometimes I see ahead a cottage of rusty brick
hiding in light green, & before it some white thing
like a petticoat – which drives the forms of granite clean
out of my head in the most unphilosophical manner



Charles again, soon after marriage:

………. I cannot say how happy
you make me in this one, nor how dearly I l love you



Emma, approaching her first confinement (&not long after the death in childbirth of)

I should be most unhappy if I thought
we would not belong to each other for eternity


because if Charles did not have faith he would not make it to heaven


Charles kept this letter & left it where Emma would be sure to find it when he died

….. When I am dead, know
I have kissed & cried over this many times



It says much for Darwin’s intellectual honesty that he did not consider Pascal’s wager a solution to this predicament