Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Abbreviated language

Heard Will Self on the radio this morning speculating about the possibility of writing poetry in txt

I don’t text myself - my thumb ain’ able with tha’


But it reminded me of a popular poem of my youth*

YYUR
YYUB
ICUR
YY4ME!



Telegraphese has not lasted as a form of written language though it produced a few memorable quotes & jokes – notably General Napier’s “Peccavi”



There was no phone service which could be used to inform my husband when he became a father for the first time. We were still in the delivery room when my mother arrived & one of her first concerns was how to word the telegram which, while considerably less than the £10 for 20 words of 1867, was still expensive enough

I suggested “You have a kettle without a spout”, based on what was supposedly the popular way to announce the birth of a son to soldiers on active duty during WWII

My mother did not even deign to reply

Secretly I was very impressed by her “Mother & daughter well”



Related post
I love radio transmitters


* Translation:
Too wise you are
Too wise you be
I see you are
Too wise for me!