Sunday, June 08, 2008

Noxious thing

Right up until about 1990 I, along with many others, knew of nitric oxide only as a nasty. A dangerous component of air pollution, especially from traffic

Then I saw what was probably the last decent Horizon programme. Yes it had a great human interest drama, but the science was straightforwardly told

Suddenly I sat bolt upright on the settee. They are describing the menopause!

I cannot honestly remember the details now & I cannot be bothered to search for any notes, but I think it had something to do with the way it set off random tiny explosions in the brain. My GP pooh-poohed my suggestion, I could not find anything in the literature, so I just forgot about it, though I did note later references to the use of nitric oxide during labour, & to how old fashioned under-the-tongue nitro-glycerine can help with menstrual cramps

I was reminded of this recently by a piece in the paper about how nitric oxide might somehow help in the fight against MRSA

Then I thought that perhaps this new magic bullet might help with Raynauds too. Unfortunately, although there is some research reported, I can find no reference in the Raynauds Society website