Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dressing to confuse

Seeing the pictures of Serena Williams in her tennis mac took me back 25 years

I was the proud owner of a beautiful shirt dress. Made of fine needlecord in a shade of greyish blue. Very reminiscent of the shirtwaisters worn in the 1950s, though this one did not have a waistline, it buttoned all the way down the front, tied with a belt. Beautifully made, it was one of the most expensive garments I had ever owned

I had a few cracks from male colleagues along the lines of Why don’t you take your coat off – or are you not stopping? Which I loftily ignored

Until the day I had to have a briefing session with my Director

He was not much older than I was, a bit of a natty dresser himself (tragically given to ice-cream suits). Although very bright, he had a reputation of not being an easy man to talk to

Would you like to hang up your coat? he enquired, before I sat down

Nonplussed, I politely said No thank you, Im fine

Now wouldn’t you have left it at that, even if you had thought to yourself Funny woman?


Not him. Twice during our discussion he interrupted himself to enquire if I was feeling the cold - should he turn the heating up? Was I sure I did not want to take my coat off?

I do not think I ever wore it to work again

By the way – did Serena actually play the match in her mac, or was it just during the warm up?



Link: