Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Going to the altar

Some years ago in an adult education class one of the members told how, since white did not suit her, she had chosen a very pale pink wedding dress:

My father was very upset

Most of the rest of us (ladies of a certain age) giggled. The solitary young male student said he did not get the joke

When I was in my teens the daughter of the Duke of Devonshire got married in a local church wearing a severely plain white dress – high neck, long sleeves. Carrying a bouquet of single white lilies. A neighbour (who we all thought rather grand) said I think her mother is rather over-doing it

When I got married my mother (who knew I had been sleeping with my boyfriend) said I could have a white wedding dress if I wanted, but it would have to be short. If I wanted a long dress, it would have to be a different colour

To be honest, I am still a little bit shocked by the sight of a bride in a shoulderless, strapless, perhaps even backless, dress

But then yesterday I listened to an item on Womans Hour about the 'cultural' problem faced by Asian brides in this country who have to maintain today the same fiction which we had to then

Related posts: They used to do WHAT?
Till death us do part?