Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Christmas yet to come

.
Christmas alone

I do not want your Christmas!
There! Ive spelt it out at last
Im going to abandon those
Evasions of the past.
The "yes, I shall be going out!"
Or "yes, a friend is here!"
And all those white defensive lies,
Oh dear …


I do not want your Christmas,
Though so very kindly meant;
Nor wish to be a part of all
Your festive merriment;
Your paper hats & crackers,
Your tinsel, toys & oh
All those dreadful party games
That grown-ups relish so …


Youre very sweet & giving,
But I think you must be told
How other folks jocundity
Can flatten when ones old.
And heres the very hub of it:
I dont see why I should
Attend your family gatherings
Just to make you all feel good


Some of you will bridle
For I cannot make you see
That being on ones own does not
Mean instant misery.
And some, no doubt, will feel relieved
But most of you will say
"Its rather sad. She must be mad …
Alone, on Christmas Day?"


But I have right inside me
Such Christmases, my dears,
You couldnt start to dream of
Though you tried a hundred years.
And these will bring me quiet joy,
And warm me like the sun.
So leave me be, my darlings,
And "God bless us, every one!"


Marjorie Dunkels, age 85

A woman after my own heart.

Last week they were playing Slade in Boots. As if having all the decorations & Christmas stock out were not enough. The staff will be driven round the bend well before Christmas Eve.

I hate early Christmas precisely because the specialness gets taken away.