Saturday, May 05, 2007

Countable infinity

Do you remember the proud childhood boasts: I can count to 10 - Well I can count to 20? How you ached to be able to reach 100? And how proud parents would boast of your feat?

I actually enjoyed lying in my bed at night, silently rehearsing how far I could get. Doing it out loud would have earned a reprimand - You ought to be asleep by now - so Ive never had any faith in counting sheep as a cure for insomnia

Then came the breathtaking moment when I realised I could count as far as I liked. Even if you got to a MILLION all you had to do was start again, one million and ONE, one million and TWO ...

And if I got even further, & didnt know the name for the next number, I COULD JUST MAKE ONE UP

Wow!

Then the anticlimax. Was that what all the fuss was about?

What a swizz