Saturday, April 28, 2007

Commonplace books

Ben Macintyre wrote an interesting piece about commonplace books the other day. I too have been keeping commonplace books for more years than I care to remember

I had always thought that the word commonplace must be a cuddly version of miscellaneous file - a place to keep, to hold in common, all those personally meaningful bits & pieces which otherwise resist classification

Mine used to be in a variety of notebooks & included cartoons, pictures & clippings of interesting bits of graphics from newspapers & magazines, as well as quotations, comments & musings

After my right arm went funny I moved to keeping it as a Word document - functional but not so pretty or idiosyncratic

I am working on turning this into a commonplace blog

Sometimes making a collage of pieces from the old one


Little minds are interested in the extra-ordinary; great minds in the commonplace - Elbert Hubbard