Saturday, February 02, 2013

Crossword games


I am so pleased I found Times for the Times
This nice, unfussy site just gives the solutions & explains how (or why) the clue is a clue. At first these clarifications were just as likely to make my lip curl as not, but then the magic word was mentioned.

Pangram.  Someone likes playing (undeclared) games with us.

I would never have noticed. Never expected them, and my habit of not filling in the unchecked lights would have done nothing to alert me.

I don’t really like these games-for-the-sake-of-games, like writing novels without the letter e – you admire the effort & ingenuity, but the result is not especially satisfying to the reader. With crosswords it can lead to obscure words & tortured clues.

But I noticed the first pangram for myself the other day, & it certainly helped to realise that the remaining clues must contain within them somewhere the letters j, x and v. Job done

But if they are going to do this then the editor ought, as a matter of routine, to include a line of alphabet above or below the grid to save the solver the chore of writing it out for themselves – after all they do something of the sort for codeword solvers.

And the whole business has sparked an idea for the sort of investigation that might while away a wet Sunday afternoon in winter: compare & contrast the frequency distribution of letters in the cryptic crossword solutions with that in ordinary English

Link
Times for The Times
Center for Book Arts
Related post
Thunderer on the pull