Thursday, January 03, 2013

Patti Page


We have heard plenty of clips from Doggie in the Window on the radio over the past 24 hours – marking the death of Patti Page at the age of 85.

At least I can now be sure that the recorded version which has remained in my head since childhood is not her wonderfully inviting voice, which sounds surprisingly laid back & sophisticated. The version which we heard so frequently – presumably on the BBC Light Programme – was much more strict tempo & bouncy.

I certainly remember her Tennessee Waltz however. It surprised me to learn that that was recorded even earlier than Doggie - I associate it much more with my teenage years of going to dances - where there were boys.
Links
Washington Post: Patti Page
Miss Patti Page
Related posts
You can’t take a goldfish for a walk