Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Dairy cream

Ever since the maniacal belief that whole milk counts as a bad food, something to be shunned, skinny blue skimmed stuff only for those who want to stay healthy, I have been puzzled by one question: What happens to all the cream? Why do we not hear Shock! Horror! stories about ‘them’ simply pouring it down the pits* since there is no market for the evil stuff?

I expect the answer is that we consumed it anyway in cream cakes & puddings; at least then we knew we were sinning & could seek salvation through repentance, were not conflicted by the competing good/bad for you claims of fat mixed with calcium.

I do not pretend to understand the causes of the current problems over milk prices, though I am aware that the future of dairy has been a long-running plot line in The Archers. I note however that, though often mentioned only as an aside, that there has been a sharp fall in the demand for cream now that the world is going through hard times & must learn to go without luxuries for a while.

*Google has failed me in my search for stories about surplus milk being poured down mines in England in the later 1950s

Links