Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cold hands, warm ears


As a purely temporary measure I am resorting to the use of ear plugs at home for a short space of time each morning while I am in the bathroom.

I favour the wax kind which you mould to fit into your ear.

The heat in these plugs, when I remove them, is startling.

At first I thought this was just another example of how personal bodily phenomena, which we usually think of as one single thing - in this case ‘my temperature’ – are, in truth, in a state of constant flux both temporal & spatial.

But why on earth should my outer ear be so much hotter than the rest of me? Is it those busy thought processes in the brain which is just next door – a bit like the memory stick feeling warm when you remove it from the laptop?

I guess it’s more mundane than that.

The wax collects & stores up the heat, not radiating it away as quickly as flesh & bone; my hands are permanently colder because of the Raynauds.

So it’as all just a matter of relativity really.

Related post