Sunday, January 16, 2011

Great-great granma's song

I have mentioned how my nana would often tell how her grandmother used to like to sing (and to weep over) Don't go down in the mine, Daddy.

When I got my piano bequeathed by Great Aunt Adie I also inherited an old fashioned piano stool covered in striped green & black velvet which held a treasure trove of musical scores - principally songbooks from the first decades of the twentieth century. And yes, that song featured in one of them, though I do not remember ever being asked to accompany anyone singing it.

Don't go down in the mine, Daddy,
Dreams very often come true;
Daddy, you know it would break my heart
If anything happened to you;
Just go and tell my dream to'your mates,
And as true as the stars that shine,
Something is going to happen today,