Saturday, July 14, 2007

Douglas Hodge

First remember him in that tv thing about yuppie city types in the 1980s

Then in that Ruth Rendell thing about the long hot summer of 1976

Middlemarch of course

He has that rare ability, for an English actor, of seeming understated. To the point of near unrecognisability sometimes. I once watched something on Channel 4 (I think) which I would not otherwise have watched, because I saw his name in the cast list. Thought it must be my terrible memory for names when he did not appear. Then I realised that he had - that one who held the eye, but I had failed to recognise

And now Engleby on Radio 4. Completely, chillingly brilliant. Conveying madness just with the way of drawing out or emphasising certain sounds - a long f at the start of a word, or an overemphatic -ing at the end